Tuesday, January 26, 2010

DO ALL DOGS GO TO HEAVEN?


If you believe the name of the movie, then I guess they do.

Yes, it's true. Sessna is dead. She died about 3:30 this morning in the middle of the living room floor. We think her lungs filled up with fluid. She has been coughing for quite awhile but the last couple of days it was worse. But she was still eating and still wanting Chad to throw her toy just yesterday. She cried out last night and woke us up. I thought she was having a bad dream and yelled at her to be quiet, but Chad got up and she was about gone. I knelt down by her and she convulsed a couple of times and it was over. So a 14 year part of our family has gone on to wherever dogs go.

May I make a suggestion to you who might have a daughter that wants a dog. Get her one before she is a senior in high school. Let her have one while they are growing up together. Brooke had Sessna from Christmas until she went to college the next fall. You can't take pets to college. Then she went on her mission. You can't take pets on missions. Then she got married and went back to college. You still can't have pets at college and if your husband says you can't have one in your house then the dog stays at home with the parents for the full 14 years. We have taken care of her, cleaned up after her, lost shoes she chewed up, fixed furniture she tore up and now we have to miss her. Who made up that dumb rule?

My dad used to sing an Elvis Presley song called Old Shep. I would almost cry everytime he sang it.

When I was a boy and old Shep was a pup
Over hills and meadows we'd stray
Just a boy and his dog
We were both full of fun
And we grew up together that way.

I remember the time at the old swimmin' hole
When I would have drowned beyond doubt
But old Shep was right there
To the rescue he came
And he jumped in and then pulled me out.

The years fast did roll
And old Shep he grew old
His eye sight was fast growing dim
It was then that the doctor looked at me and said,
"There's no more I can do for him, Jim."

With hands that were trembling
I picked up my gun
And I aimed it at Shep's faithful head
But I just couldn't do it
I wanted to run
And I wished that they'd shoot me instead.

He came to my side
And he looked up at me
And he laid his old head on my knee
I had struck the best friend that a boy ever had
And I cried till I scarely could see.

Now old Shep has gone where the good doggies go
And no more in the meadows we'll roam
But if dogs have a heaven
There's one thing I know
Old Shep has a wonderful home.


I hope dogs go to heaven and I hope Sessna and my dad are playing together again--just like they did when they were both here.

1 comment:

  1. First of all, that song is AWFUL!! It made me cry. We're going to miss her. Thanks for taking such good care of her for me all these years. You're a good mom. . . and she was a good dog. Love you.

    ReplyDelete