Wednesday, January 13, 2010

I'm not a baseball player--Why the curve ball?

I have had this day planned for about a week now and it was going to be good. I will be going back to work full time next week until tax season is over so I was going to spend a little time with Brooke's girls-Cadence and Ashland. And I had promised Brooke I would help her take in some clothes that she needs that don't fit her anymore. Yesterday I had gone to Soda Springs with Chad to see a chiropracter and had my neck and back adjusted. I was good. I had thought about driving to Brooke's last night when we got home then discarded that idea for a good night's sleep in my own bed and the fact that Brooke has presidency meetings on Tuesday nights which sometimes last longer than recommended. So the plan--get up early and go to Idaho Falls, spend Wednesday and Thursday with Brooke and her family, love on (that's code for spoil) the girls, fix Brooke's clothes, watch Ashland on Thursday morning while Brooke teaches preschool and then be home for my boss' birthday lunch on Friday. This was such a good plan.

Then came the curve ball. Who is throwing these things anyway? I don't play baseball, never have, never will. I like to watch the World's Series each year but that is the extent of my baseball prowess. I played a tiny bit of softball many, many years ago when I was a young woman and each ward had a team during the summer. But I was not good at it and didn't really care to make a total fool of myself. (I can do that on my own. I didn't need a baseball bat to prove I am athletically challenged.) I woke up in the middle of the night soooo sick I wanted to cry. Had my back adjustment released a body full of toxins or did I have one of those 24 hour bugs? It didn't really matter what it was. I was sick! and how could I go to Brooke's and give the bug to her little family? I couldn't. I didn't even want to get out of bed. When the morning telephone call came and the little voice said "Come to my house, bombma?" I had to say no. Dang, I hate to tell a 2 year old NO.

So my fun day with the kids was spent in bed with a sick stomach and a headache.

Being flexible is an important and essential part of life.

I certainly didn't do what I wanted to today but it didn't change my eternal scheme of things. Brooke and the girls did fine without me and there are some days in the not so distant future that we can spend together.

The good news is that I think I hit that curve ball. I am doing better tonight and the best thing about it is that my granddaughters still love me even if I couldn't carry through with our perfectly laid plans. I love you too Cadence and Ashland.

No comments:

Post a Comment